02 January 2016

i.avatar (NSFW)

Opening tomorrow, Sunday, January 3 at 1 pm slt, at the DathĂșil Gallery of Art, is i.avatar, an exhibition of photography by Io Bechir that encompasses a wide variety of styles and subjects captured over the past several years. "The work I'm displaying in i.avatar is a simple, autobiographical document," she explains. "My hope is to communicate my impressions with regard to my experiences here over the past three years," says Io. "During this time period I fell in love. I met some amazing and wonderful friends. I suffered a broken heart. I came to realize my own strength. I took up sailing. I found my voice as an artist, and discovered new ways to express my Self in this limitless space of ethereal light and imagination. Probably, many of the same experiences you have had."

Many of the photographs in this first solo show by Io depict the female nude in poses that range from sexual eroticism to interplays with light and shadow. Images along the lower right side were taken after the emotional end of a relationship, reflecting a dark period in her life; those along the left after the creation of Imogen, a doll that Io used to help find a new center. "Creating her was my way of sort of seeing the world through new eyes," she adds. Sailing, a favorite pastime of the artist (especially when naked), is also a prominent topic. The exhibition will remain on display through the month of January.

No comments:

Post a Comment